Monday, October 25, 2010

Esme gets gets some TLC

As Esme is to be a driver, till her sister Pearl is ready, the main thing is to make things work. She was somewhat, reluctant to leave her old home and all those European sports cars she had befriended over the last four years of her life.When I went to pick her up she absolutely refused to run on more than 7 and sometimes 6 cylinders.......I suspected leads but could not find a way to get it going with the limited resources there. For my trouble Esme gave me a nice couple of burns on the knuckles while I played with her plugs......
         Well, so I drove home ,one very load, very sick sounding car, which was being noticed for all the wrong reasons!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks Esme.
       The next day I did a trip to my buds at Eagle autos and ended up making a new set of leads. That solved the misfire problem, threw in a set of plugs too.
       But , with no choke and a nasty habit of firing back throught the carby when cold, and a nasty stumble
on the blip to down shift. I thought a bit of a looksy was in order and perhaps a rebuild of that old 600.



600 vac secondaries 6.5 power valve, 66 jets 1986


Thats not to pretty !!

I had a bit of a look at the carby after I took it off



Luckily I also have a few carbs, after a full rebuild of the 3310-3 750 vac, same powervalve
and I up sized the jets  to 68's
its running fine, there is a nice smooth transition to the secondaries now



Hey and I got a choke now too, looks a bit better and we hold about 5 to 7 psi fuel pressure too.

The other job was to adjust the tappits from the noise and the loppy idle I thought I had a solid roller cam.
Man I was wrong...hydraulic . I think they had not been touched in a long ,long time. These are going to give me trouble  I think, later on. Some of the valves have rounded heads, as about three where very, very  loose and floped around,, how could you not notice , well its quiet now,  and runs well.
I will have to try and work out what cam is in this thing.Next is an oil change and a sneak peek to see if she is a 4 bolt or not, thats in a week or two.



Oh this was Esmes best friend while at Brooklands  DBSZ an amazingly beautiful car
not bad for the high $300K ??


Stay tuned ....you too Esme!!

No comments:

Post a Comment